Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, January 30, 2009

Signing

During my pregnancy I read lots of different articles on lots of different things having to do with raising kids and one of the topics I was really interested in was signing. At our first daycare I asked the teacher if she signed with the kids and her opinion was it was a waste of time - they got their point across one way or another. OK. But ever since we started Early Intervention and the daycare he is in now both highly suggested signing as a mode of communication. I figured what the heck we can give it a shot and started with a few signs for "all done" and "more". Alex was about 9 months old when we started this and for months we got nothing - he just thought we were funny. But over the last month or so Alex has started to sign - now most kids do the basics - blow kisses and wave hi or bye bye. Alex loves waving! But I am so impressed - he signs all done and more now (especially when we have pizza) and the other day I was talking with the OT about his frustration and independence and she suggested teaching him the sign for "help". She showed me what it was and then showed Alex. Then 10 minutes later he was really frustrated and she signed to him and asked him if he wanted help and he did it back! Now I am sure he did not learn that from one observation so I asked the teacher if they taught it to him and she was SO excited - all their repetitions paid off too! So far here are his signs:

Waving hi or bye bye
all done
more
help
eat - this one he made up himself - he clicks his tongue and pretends to chew when he wants a snack

We are working on Mommy, Daddy, please and thank you right now.

Do I think this is going to slow down language? NO because he is quite vocal as it is and we always use the words and the signs together - its amazing the signs and words some of the bigger toddlers have at daycare. Unfortunately after starting to say Mum and Daddy we have given those words up and now just say uh oh and his version of kitty. Uh oh is his favorite and he says it constantly. I guess I should be happy its not NO! (yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment